Welcome to the Physics Department
Our Department promotes and carries out Research in fundamental and applied physics, including cross-disciplinary aspects.
Teaching covers the basic and advanced aspects of all the Research areas in which the Department is active. In addition, it is the centre of the degree in optics and optometry and key partner of the cross-departmental programs in medical physics, physics of complex systems and space science.
Research is achieved in collaboration with the local branches of the National Institute of Nuclear Physics (INFN), which is located in the Department, the National Institute of Astrophysics (INAF) and the National Institute of Metrology (INRIM) and with international institutions.
Our main research areas are:
- Nuclear and subnuclear physics
- Astrophysics, cosmology and astroparticle physics
- Theoretical physics
- Physics of complex systems
- Fluid dynamics, turbulence and waves
- Physics of atmosphere, climate and meteorology
- Solid state physics
- Physics applied to the cultural heritage
- Medical physics